Close Menu
New Jersey State Bar
Somerville Divorce Lawyer > Flemington Parenting Time Lawyer

Flemington Parenting Time Lawyer

If you are going through a divorce or separation and fighting for your parental rights, don’t go at it alone. Flemington parenting time lawyer Katherine Wagner has more than 20 years of experience assisting clients to assert their parental rights. If you need help with child custody, parenting time, or any other family law issues in Hunterdon, Somerset, or Middlesex Counties, Katherine K. Wagner, Attorney at Law, is here to help. Contact us today.

What Are the Different Parenting Times in New Jersey?

Depending on your individual circumstances and the terms of your separation or divorce, there could be a couple of different types of parenting time available to you under New Jersey law. The most common type of unsupervised. That means a child can stay with its non-custodial parent for a certain amount of time and not require supervision. Perhaps this is a weekend stay, holidays, etc. Courts prefer to grant unsupervised custody whenever possible, as it is the most natural feeling for your child.

The second type of parenting time is supervised. This option is ordered when the non-custodial parent may be a threat to the child. Either the court appoints someone, or the parents choose someone to be there and oversee the parenting time visits. Under supervised parenting time, the visits may occur at specific locations that the court approves of or at a parent’s home. In some cases, virtual visitation is utilized. This type of visitation would take place through Skype, Facetime, etc.

Can Parenting Time Be Revoked?

In some cases, parenting time can be revoked. The custodial parent cannot decide on their own or deny the other parent their time once the court has ruled. If the custodial parent tries to keep the child away without a valid court order, the court could take action against them. Custodial parents cannot choose to keep a child away from the other parent, even if they haven’t paid court-ordered child support.

There are some circumstances where the court would choose to revoke or deny parenting time. Some of the reasons that the court could decide to revoke parenting time include incarceration, alcohol or drug abuse, a history of domestic violence, mental illness, and more. If the court does deny parenting time, the parent can choose to petition the court and ask their parental rights to be restored.

If the court determines reuniting the parent and child is warranted, they may create a reunification plan. This plan outlines obligations for the petitioning parent to follow before the court agrees to restore their rights. To show they are fit to be a parent, the court may ask them to take parenting classes, attend rehab, seek medical treatment or see a therapist, attend an anger management class, or go to reunification therapy.

Once the non-custodial parent can show they are fit to care for their child, the court may reinstate their parental rights.

Contact a Flemington Parenting Time Lawyer Today

If you are a non-custodial parent whose rights have been denied, or you are the custodial parent concerned about contact with the other parent, we can help. Contact the Law Offices of Katherine K. Wagner today to schedule an initial consultation to learn how we can help.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

© 2020 - 2021 Katherine K. Wagner, Attorney at Law. All rights reserved.