What Should I Do if My Ex Isn’t Paying Alimony?

0390215001645802275.jpgWhen a couple gets divorced, often, alimony (sometimes called spousal support or spousal maintenance) is one of the most hotly-contested issues. In many cases, one spouse believes he or she is entitled to alimony, while the other spouse disagrees. New Jersey has a system in place regarding how it determines alimony agreements, and courts will typically assess various factors before deciding. Unfortunately, at times, people will refuse to abide by their alimony agreement and stop making alimony payments. Please continue reading and contact the Law Offices of Katherine K. Wagner to learn more about how our firm can help if your ex isn’t paying alimony. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How do courts determine alimony agreements in New Jersey?

New Jersey courts consider several factors when establishing alimony agreements. Some of those factors are as follows:

  • The duration of the marriage
  • Each spouse’s yearly income and overall financial capabilities
  • The need and ability of the parties to pay
  • Each spouse’s age, as well as their physical and emotional health
  • The standard of living established during the marriage
  • Each spouse’s financial or non-financial contributions to the marriage
  • Any other factor the court deems necessary

What can I do if my ex is refusing to follow our alimony agreement?

You should first understand that refusing to follow an alimony agreement is against the law. If you cannot get your ex to follow your alimony agreement by simply talking the matter over with him or her, then you should consider hiring an experienced attorney who can file a motion for alimony enforcement with the New Jersey Court System. Depending on the circumstance of your former spouse’s refusal to make alimony payments, the court may take any of the following actions against your ex-spouse:

  • Economic sanctions
  • Requiring him or her to pay arrearages periodically
  • Mandatory community service
  • The suspension of his or her commercial/standard driver’s license
  • Issue a warrant to be executed upon further violation of the judgment order

Though no one wants to see these things happen to their former spouse, if you are not receiving the regular payments to which you are entitled, you shouldn’t have to suffer. If you have any other questions or you need a compassionate and efficient attorney to represent you, reach out to the Law Offices of Katherine K. Wagner today.

Contact the Law Offices of Katherine K. Wagner

Do not face complex divorce and family law matters alone. With over 25 years of experience, the Law Offices of Katherine K. Wagner is dedicated to providing you with the knowledge and skill your case deserves. We will fight to protect your rights, your financial security, and your children. Contact the Law Offices of Katherine K. Wagner today for a consultation.

Contact Us

Please fill out the form below and our attorney will contact you.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.